There are many factors that contribute to a thriving Yammer network: engaged employees willing to share information, an educated user base that is not afraid to learn a new tool, and buy-in from leadership throughout the organization. These factors, among others, ensure that a Yammer network can grow to its full potential. But how can you be sure the information you share remains secure and well organized as your network grows? In order to scale your network effectively, a certain level of management is key. Yammer offers a number of security features and data management tools to ensure your network continues to thrive over time.
For Basic Networks
1) User Management
Yammer offers robust user management capabilities that allow you to keep the right people inside your network and the wrong people out. Managing users in a basic network is easy – just follow these simple steps to deactivate users:
- Go to the user’s profile and click on the de-activation link from the module in the right sidebar.
- On the next page, confirm the de-activation.
Once confirmed, the former employee will no longer have access to your Yammer network. While all the content he shared in your network will remain intact, he will be marked as a “former user” so everyone knows he’s no longer available. If you de-activate an existing employee by mistake, he can easily re-activate his account from the login page using his work email address. It’s that easy.
2) Team Workspaces
Tired of wandering aimlessly through your All Company feed to find out what everyone’s up to? Organize your network into Groups to connect the right people with the collaboration tools they need to work better together. You can customize the security settings of a Group to manage membership and visibility within your network. To create a Group:
- Click the plus button next to the Groups link from the left navigation on your homepage.
- In the lightbox that opens, enter a Group name and click the ‘Create Group’ button.
From the right sidebar of your Group, you can quickly add members, upload files, create Pages, schedule events, and more. To manage members and content within your Group, simply click the Settings button at the top right of the feed and adjust the privacy controls as you see fit.
3) Content Curation
As your network grows, the amount of valuable information that passes through your feeds is incredible. But, where does it all go? With Yammer topics, you can organize content into an easily searchable pool of past and present knowledge. To add a topic to a message:
- Click the More link at the bottom of the message and choose ‘Add Topic’ from the dropdown menu.
- Enter a relevant topic name and click the Add button.
Once you’ve created a topic, you can add it to other relevant messages in your network. Search for the topic or click on the tag directly from a post to view a feed of all the messages tagged with that topic. You can even follow the topic to keep track of new messages in the feed.
For Premium Networks
1) User Management
Yammer offers additional user management capabilities for Enterprise customers. Administrators have the ability to streamline user de-provisions using our Directory Sync tool. Directory Sync integrates Yammer with the company directory so that when an employee leaves the organization and is removed from the company directory, he is automatically removed from the Yammer network as well. Consult your Customer Success Manager for more information on Directory Sync.
If you are a Business customer, we recommend that you designate a network admin to remove former employees manually by following the simple steps below:
- Navigate to the Admin Console and click the Remove Users link from the left navigation.
- Search for the former employee and choose from the following options: deactivate user, permanently remove user and save all messages, or permanently remove user and delete all messages.
Deactivated users will no longer have access to your Yammer network and will be marked as “former users” so everyone knows they’re no longer available.
2) Network Analytics
Curious to see how your employees are using Yammer? Network Analytics allow you to track aggregate activity across your members, groups, files, Pages, and more. Measuring the growth of your network helps you to understand the value of Yammer as it evolves over time. Admins can access Network Analytics by following these steps:
- Click into Analytics from the left navigation on your homepage.
- Toggle the relative time frame from the dropdown menu at the top of the page.
You can use insights from Network Analytics in a variety of ways to drive adoption and maximize the value of Yammer. For example, identify top Groups and encourage new users to join them as part of their on-boarding process. Or track mobile app activity to find out which devices your employees prefer. The possibilities are endless!
3) Data Security
Rest assured that your company information is safe and secure at all times with Yammer’s robust security controls. Use Keyword Monitoring to receive email alerts whenever designated keywords or phrases are posted in any message on Yammer. To enable this feature, admins can follow the below steps:
- Navigate to the Admin Console and click the Monitor Keywords link from the left navigation.
- Designate a recipient email address for the alert notifications at the top of the page.
- Enter keywords or phrases to monitor, each on its own line, in the text field below.
Admins can also use Data Export to manage all of your network’s data according to your company’s policies. To preserve the integrity of your business, schedule daily or weekly data exports to meet legal and regulatory compliance. Here’s how:
- Navigate to the Admin Console and click the Export Data link from the left navigation.
- Enter a start date, choose whether or not to include attachments, and click the Export button.
Once the Data Export download is complete, open the file to access records of all the Groups, Messages, Topics, Users, and more added to your network in the designated timeframe.
Our Commitment to Driving Trust and Transparency in the Cloud
At Yammer, we understand that success is built on trust, which is why we offer a number of security capabilities that preserve the confidentiality of your data. We’re extremely committed to driving trust and transparency in the cloud, and have recently joined the Cloud Security Alliance, where we’ll play an active role in defining security standards and initiatives for all cloud companies. To learn more about our approach to security standards, please visit yammer.com/it/security.