Today is one of the most exciting days in Yammer history. Two years ago, we launched Yammer at the TechCrunch50 conference. Today at TechCrunch Disrupt, we unveiled the new Yammer, including a revamped user interface, a more robust platform, and a number of useful applications. We’ve expanded our product from an enterprise microblogging solution to a full-fledged enterprise social network.
Since our inception, Yammer has had a public API, allowing third parties to develop applications on top of Yammer. We’ve now expanded to a full platform, on which third party companies can develop new applications and integrate existing enterprise apps. We’ve built several of our own applications that are available today:
- Polls – Tap the wisdom of crowds by quickly and easily creating a poll and asking co-workers to identify the best option
- Questions – Ask co-workers and quickly find answers in a searchable knowledgebase
- Events – Invite co-workers to company or group events and track responses. Download event into Microsoft Outlook or Google calendar
- Links – Share URLs with co-workers in a form that displays web content such as videos and images inline
Soon we’ll add other applications to the list including Ideas and Tasks. In addition to our own applications, we’re partnering with the following companies who are building applications that integrate with Yammer.
- Zendesk for Customer Support – Attach a Zendesk ticket to a Yammer message so that all customer service agents can collaborate and resolve issues quickly
- Box.net for Enterprise Content Management – Reference files from Box.net’s leading cloud content management solution in Yammer messages
- Crocodoc for Document Mark Up and Review – Collaboratively highlight and comment on PDFs, Word documents, images and other files that are attached to Yammer messages
- Lithium for Social Customer Relationship Management (SCRM) – Enables employees to share and discuss feedback from brand influencers and customer conversations that take place in Lithium's leading customer community solutions
- Expensify for Online Expense Report Management – Notify the appropriate people when an expense report requires action
Incorporating these applications into the Yammer feed allows workers to streamline their business processes and quickly have a conversation with their coworkers about the projects they’re working on, whether it’s a Zendesk support ticket, a PowerPoint presentation stored on Box.net, or a customer dialog in a Lithium community. The new Yammer brings action to the feed and enables more collaboration amongst colleagues.
In addition to the platform and new applications, we've also expanded our direct messaging capability, so you can send private messages to multiple participants, adding new people to the thread at any point. We added presence to Yammer, so you can view who is online now. You'll also notice that tags have evolved to become Topics, giving you an easy way to organize the messages in your feed. In addition to these features, we have enhanced our analytics. Network admins now have access to more, interactive charts, so they can track engagement.
We know that many people access Yammer from their mobile devices and the desktop application. We’re in the process of updating all of our clients to reflect the new features. We will have new versions of the clients soon, so that you’ll be able to utilize all of the new features while on the go.
With the debut of the new Yammer, we know that many people may have questions about the new features. We thought we'd try an experiment to help answer your questions. Next Wednesday, October 6th, our CEO, David Sacks, will answer all questions tweeted at him between 10:00am and 12:00pm (PST). If you have a question, post it on Twitter and be sure to @ mention him (@davidsacks) and include the "#asksacks" hashtag in your tweet, so that others can follow the conversation. Stay tuned on our blog for more information!
We hope you enjoy the new Yammer. The feedback we receive from customers is invaluable, so please leave us a comment below to let us know what you think!
See the official Press Release here.